Hi my name is Kim Geiser and Hello Happiness is a culmination of all of my life experiences as a creative with a passion for human connection.

Over the years I have written for magazines, opened and ran a few stores, published a book, regularly appeared on local television as the thrifty crafter, done countless art shows and taught classes all over the country. I’ve volunteered for amazing organizations, started a community art group that raised thousands of dollars for art scholarships, worked every kind of job (bank teller, sign maker, waitress, grocery store clerk, book store clerk, human services provider, florist)and in the process met amazing people from all over the world…I seriously have the most AMAZING network of humans. 
My latest heart project was a one year pop up called Hello Happiness that was located on Michigan Avenue in Sheboygan WI. It came to fruition in less than a month thanks to the help of my friends, family and my driving entrepreneurial spirit. I had no idea when I opened that store how it would change my outlook on life. A lot of people tried to convince me that Michigan Avenue wasn’t the best decision on location for a store but I knew it was where I was meant to be. As the weeks went by in the store it became very clear to me why my heart knew to be there. The low income area was full of fun kids and families who didn’t have money to shop but they were drawn to the store and became regular visitors. I also met amazing people who work in the non profit world which until then I never really had any real world experience with. It also attracted people who wanted to be inspired and explore their own creativity. The store was intended to be a one year pop up so I closed when my lease was up. It was a sad time as I said goodbye to the people who became my friends and who taught me so much about humanity. Over and over I was told that walking into my space was uplifting and inspiring, I even shed a few tears with customers who told me that my place was one of the only places they ever felt seen. 
After the store closed I kept thinking of some of those people I met and how I could continue to help those who society sometimes doesn’t see as valuable. I tried to work at Human Services as a supervised visit provider. Whew. That was tough but man oh man was it necessary. It taught me so so much about our world and how we all exist together but live completely different lives in the same community. It showed me the amazing work of social workers, and foster parents, and even the struggling adults just trying to figure out how to live in the “normal” world, but ultimately it hurt too much to continue. Long after I quit I still maintain relationships with all the beautiful people I met through that experience. 
In the past few years I have struggled to find something that truly fulfills me. I worked at amazing places with amazing people but something was missing. I’ve always known in my heart that I am here to do something huge. Something beyond me. Something that can change lives. 
A creativity center. A place to develop community with everyone who walks in the door. A place where the invisible can become visible through the shared experience of a class taught by respected artists from all over the country. A consistent presence for teens who struggle to fit in. A fun creative space for everyone to find inspiration to carry on into their lives and share with others. An escape for the heroes of our community like social workers and teachers. Just a joyful happy place. 
When you walk in the door there will be a small shop full of fun colorful art and all things happy. An area of free donated art supplies, coloring pages, take home sheets of easy to do projects, bins of game pieces and buttons… just a wonderland of inspiration. The studio is where the real magic will happen. Ideally room for 20 people to make art together for scheduled classes or just working together for open studio time. The classes include everything from polymer clay techniques to simple stamped card making. Many taught by local artists but also including my AMAZING network of nationally recognized artists. A comfortable conversation area for when someone just needs to talk to someone who cares. There will be a bowl of fruit and healthy snacks always available. Just a beautiful place to celebrate creativity.
The space will be open to visitors at all times during center hours for shopping at the store and will be open to everyone for Art club and open studio times but classes will have a mix of paid students and no cost students referred to the program. Making art with people from different backgrounds, of different ages and who have completely different life experiences will give everyone a unique opportunity to really see how much we all have in common. It will create connections, make the unseen seen, show those stuck in a rut a new way to think. It will change the way we see each other. It will be a community. 
The referral system will focus on teens so a teen advisory board will be formed to bring in new ideas and suggestions to benefit those we will serve. The teens on the advisory board will then be able to attend a class a month to further offer their opinions and suggestions. Teens who participate in any of the activities or programs at the center and excel creating art that is determined to be sellable will also have an opportunity to sell their art in the Hello Happiness store. This will give them experience in selling art, marketing and other valuable lessons in retail 
I don’t want to do this, I have to and I will sacrifice to get it off the ground and build an organization that will be alive and thrive far beyond my lifetime. I’m not driven by the things most of the world is driven by. I measure success with feelings not numbers but do also have the life experience to understand what it takes to make this space thrive. This is why I am alive.

Comments